Martinsville Speedway

Martinsville Speedway

Address PO Box 3966
Martinsville, VA
Phone (423) 764-1161
Official Website
  Stadium Resources  
Seating Location
Weather Newspaper
  The Facility  
Date Built 1947
Ownership H. Clay Earles Family
Capacity 86,000
Track(s) .526 Mile Oval
On Site Parking Unknown
  Other Facts  
Tenants NASCAR Winston Cup
NASCAR Craftsman Truck

Sources:Team Marketing Report and Mediaventures

Opened in 1947 under the direction of H. Clay Earles, Martinsville Speedway is a unique short track, one which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1997.

Earles still runs the facility, a tenure that dates back to the days before the formation of NASCAR. Today the speedway, located near the North Carolina border, has some of NASCAR's deepest roots. The .526-mile asphalt speedway, built as a dirt track in 1955, has grown from a dusty, rough-hewn operation into one of the most beautiful and modern racing facilities around.

Today, Martinsville covers more than 300 acres, seats more than 70,000 people and has become a multi-million dollar facility. The track has six corporate suites, a chalet village for tent entertainment, a 115-seat press box, high-rise grandstands, free parking and a fully staff Infield Medical Center.

In 1998, the speedway is adding 7,500 seats and a dozen 48-seat luxury suites for the upcoming NASCAR Winston Cup Series season.

The evolution of the facility has been immeasurable. But in many ways it still retains all the personality and flavor it had when Red Byron won the first race there in 1947.

Martinsville is a driver's track where exchanging paint is common and no car completes an event without being fully tested. The same is true of the drivers who keep coming back year after year.

Location: On Route 220, approximately 50 miles south of Roanoake, Va. and 50 miles north of Greensboro, N.C.




Help us provide a better web site by sending us your
Comments, Suggestions, Complaints, Contributions, Additions, Pictures, or Literary Works to
the Ballparks.COM Webmasters

Please support our sponser and Click Here!

BALLPARKS © 1996-2017 by Munsey & Suppes.